Monday, December 7, 2009
This is the first draft for Out of the Blue's opening page. Customers will see this page first when they type in the url address. The out of the blue text will light up as the mouse drags over it. African tribal music will be playing in the background. Kathleen's store is full of amazing African artifacts and stones that she wants to catalogue online. She is looking for a new image for her store. Out of the Blue is sort of mystical but not whimsical. Her store is full of beautiful, delicate work, wether it be natural or artisan made. This page has not been approved yet, as we are still in pre-production.
So this project has moved a lot slower than I would have liked. Part of the issue is working with a local business woman who is extremely busy. Most of the web design layouts are approved but I am waiting on the information to put in to them. I am using IWEB because it is compatible with the owner's Iphone and she can access and update it whenever she wants. The web site has become very extensive but I am so excited about it. We have both done a ton of pre-production work and I plan on using the 450 class next quarter to to all of the production work.
For the final project with the students I decided to have some fun. The project is to create a movie poster. The students formed groups of no more than three and were given a genre to work with. They then had to create a story line and basic template for the cover. The next day we worked with the camera or researched online to find some great source images. They will have two more classes to work on the project and each complete a different look for their movies. I am very excited to see how these turn out!!!! The teacher, Mr. David Nolin has asked me to stay on and work more with the students. This should be a great challenge and I will most likely extend my project because of the opportunity. Some ideas I have for next quarter will be:
- Designing add layouts for local businesses
- Repairing damaged photos
- Creating text that has emotion
- Abstract graphic art
Logo project: The goal was to introduce students to the text box and get them to play around with altering layers and text. The assignment was to create a personal logo using part of their name. This was my example piece that I used in class. It is built with three layers. The two text layers are actually the same letter M, just flipped vertically to create a mirror effect. The third layer is a black oval in the background.
Who do you want to be?: This project involved the students finding a picture online and placing their own figure into that image. For my example I chose Fred and Ginger. I found a picture of myself and cut out my face, then transfered that image into the Fred and Ginger photo. I then worked with the separate layers to create a more realistic looking photo. It is very cheeeeezy but the students had a lot of fun. The goal was to teach them about using layers and filters. Many students felt this was a challenging first project but they really enjoyed it once they got comfortable with some of the tools.
Clone stamp Project: This project was assigned to get students comfortable with the clone stamp tool. This skyline image was the one I chose in class to use as an example. Some students moved very quickly in this project and others had some difficulties. Overall students said this was one of their favorite projects because they had the control to make things disappear.